There are 3 steps to setting up product options.
The first step is to add your 'option names' such as size or colour.
The next step is to add 'option values' to the names such as red, blue, small, large, etc.
The final step is to add the option names and values to each of your products by using the 'attributes controller'.
To perform each of those steps, follow these instructions:
1. Go to the catalog menu and choose 'option name manager'.
2. Enter in an option name such as size or colour etc.
3. Choose if you want a dropdown menu, radio button or checkbox etc.
4. Click insert.
5. Go back to the 'catalog' menu and choose 'option value manager'.
6. Enter an option value such as red or size 12.
7. Repeat step 6 until you have entered in all your values.
8. Go back to the 'catalog' menu and choose 'attributes controller'.
9. Select the category that contains the product you want to edit.
10. Select the product and click ‘display’.
11. Scroll down to ‘adding new attributes’ and select an option name such as ‘colour’ and option value such as ‘red’.
12. On the next line, under ‘prices and weights’, enter the number ‘1’ in the order box.
13. Click 'insert' .
14. Repeat steps 11 to 13, using the next option value such as ‘blue’ and sort order ‘2’. Then the next option value such as ‘green’ and sort order ‘3’, etc.